Saturday, June 14, 2008

The F45RC1 Mount Rainier Playlist

Living outside of Montpelier, Vermont (with young children) is not conducive to hearing a lot of great new music.

Confession: I say this as I listen to "Classic Rock" radio right now (What is this song? I know it but I can't place it: an instrumental by...Styx or the Electric Light Orchestra?)

Oh! Now they're playing Cheap Trick's "I Want you to Want Me," which can't help but bring a smile to my face. Cheap Trick--with drumwork by one of the best fake-names in rock and roll: Bun E. Carlos.


Erp, even my digressions have digressions.

The point is, you have to work around here to hear any unfamiliar music or even to meet some unfamiliar people. It's a problem.

One solution to this problem is the so-called False 45th Record Club, which basically works like this:

Readers of a locally-written music blog (most of whom are strangers to one another) submit a couple of songs they'd like to share, and these get randomly compiled into a playlist which gets unveiled (and heard) a few days later in the upstairs bar of a local restaurant, at the first meeting of the False 45th Record Club.

And sure, it was a little awkward at first; I didn't know anyone there, unless you count the librarian who used to read the kids books at storytime when Gus was two. But it ended up being a good time. I met some interesting folks, heard some good music, and saw a guy do an impression of my accordion teacher--true small town stuff. Thanks to Brian for cooking the whole thing up (and for the commemorative CDs). I'm looking forward to the next meeting, tentatively scheduled for September.

And with that, I bring you the CureClimb 2008 theme music, courtesy of F45 Record Club #1 (my submissions were songs #11 and #36):

No comments: