Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vermont Winter = Rainier Summer?

It's been a relatively mild winter here in Vermont, thought we're having a bit of a cold snap at the moment. It was three degrees (F) yesterday morning when I got up. Still, that's not all that cold for a morning in early February (in Vermont)--but cold enough.

The thing is, the wind was coming up, and by the time I got off the bus in Burlington the wind was gusting to 30 MPH. That brings a wind chill of about twenty degrees below zero.

It was a looong 12 minute walk to my office in that wind.

My face hurt. It just plain hurt.

The wind made me grimace, and I had to remind myself to pull my lips back over my teeth because they hurt too. And I worried, irrationally, that they would shatter into little bits, like safety glass.

Man.

I know it will be June when I'm up on Rainier, but doesn't it get weather like this? Even in June? I mean, doesn't it basically stick up into the jet stream?

All I can find right now is a current forecast for the Rainier summit…it says the low tonight on the summit will be minus 13, with 44 mile-an-hour winds. That's a wind chill of minus 50 degrees.

It's no walk to the office.

No comments: