Sunday, March 2, 2008

Long Run Sunday (AKA "Long Run Sunday Pain Report")

Well, I ran 10k on the treadmill yesterday, and my aching back isn't any more aching--and my tendency lately toward waves of queasiness has not gotten any more wavy. So I'm going to try a long run, on a route I'm calling the Snow Hill Nine-Miler (since the hardest part is an extended hill on Snow Hill Road).

The roads are covered with snow, it's 16 degrees (F) with happy little flurries coming down. It won't be fast. But it might be fun. Or it might be kind of endless. We'll see.




So the run is done, and here's the report:

  • Even though the roads were not "icy", they were mostly covered with loose snow, which meant a little bit of slip underfoot with each push-off--kind of like running nine miles on loose sand. I didn't exactly break any speed records.
  • I had to walk several times, especially on the hills, which seemed particularly daunting today. Still recovering from that virus, I suppose.
  • I very quickly felt tightness in my right knee, which became more and more distracting along the route. This is most likely an ITB issue that I need to stay on top of--probably with the help of a physical therapist.
  • Dismayingly, after about 7 miles my left calf started cramping up intermittently, in that sudden way that makes you stumble and almost fall. This is the sort of thing that started up around mile-20 on the only marathon I've done. I'm going to blame this on The Virus, too, but I also wonder if I should be taking some supplements or something to maintain my, um, electrolytes.
  • The good news is, I did the nine miles, and I'm I'm not (yet?) hobbling around like a broken man.

2 comments:

Celeste Rivers said...

Hey Rob, I salute you and hope that you will go easy on your body. I can no longer run or lift anything because I didn't listen to mine. That said, good for you for climbing the mountain.

I have a friend who is making a second attempt this summer with the American Lung Assoc. She and her team about got blown off the mountain last summer. So she is going again.

I will send a donation soon. I just popped into the office for a moment. We actually are having some decent weather as of late. I am going home to plant a few daffodils as the rabbits ate the other ones. I have no idea why I think they won't eat these.

Hugs to all, I will stay in touch and hope that I will get to see all of you this summer. I can see Rainier from the Island, so maybe I will get a glimpse of you up there. Hugs to all, Celeste

Anonymous said...

Celeste, How delightful to hear from you! Thanks for checking in. Hopefully WE won't get blown off the mountain this June (and hopefully we'll have a clear view of Camano Island, too). XX OO.